Thursday 12 January 2012

StitchED & BitchED

Knitting and sewing and all things W.I. seems to be centre-stage in a certain age group of women. Whether it's a need to regain our femininity or a chance to make new friends and be creative, craft is booming. As we get older, it seems making friends gets harder. In fact, our priorities change and our lives get busier. Hobby groups are a great way to meet new people as a common theme triggers the conversation. This was my impetus to start a knitting group.

Inspired by the US version http://stitchnbitch.org/  I wanted to set up a group near to where I live. The ED stands for East Dulwich! Originally we stuck to knitting and crochet, but I soon realised that other crafts such as sewing and cross stitch could easily be done in a sociable setting; stitching was soon added.

StitchED & BitchED has been running for over two years now, and despite a few pitfalls, is growing from strength to strength. A highlight for me was the knitting bomb of Christmas 2010. We spent our evenings knitting giant paper chains, stars, and I made a fairy. Just before the snow hit and the police arrived, we decorated the Goose Green roundabout in East Dulwich!


This Valentine's Day I'm planning something new, to spread a little love and put a smile on the face of my fellow East Dulwichers. Watch this space...

For me personally, I have made some lovely new friends whose paths I would not normally cross. It also means I don't end up feeling like Drew Barrymore in Never Been Kissed sitting at home doing cross stitch on my lonesome!

The Mag is a perfect place to meet, it  has become like a very sociable lounge with drink on tap. We even have our own standard lamp by the fireplace!

If you fancy joining our group, new members are always welcome. We meet on the second and last Tuesdays of the month from 7.30pm.
You can always check out our Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/105594917610/

Happy stitching people!

No comments:

Post a Comment